Patrick Osborn

Montgomery Man May Stand Trial for Deadly Drunk Driving Crash

Comments: 0  | Leave A Comment
Edward Lamer Blackwell

Edward Lamer Blackwell (Credit: Provided)

(MONTGOMERY COUNTY, TX) — A hearing is scheduled for Sept. 15 to determine whether a Montgomery County man accused in a deadly crash two years ago is competent to stand trial.

Edward Blackwell, 44, is charged with three counts of intoxicated manslaughter. His attorney, E. Tay Bond, says his mental capacity would not allow him to stand trial.

See Dramatic Crash Scene Photos Below…

“I certainly believe the evidence will show that Mr. Blackwell, due to his traumatic brain injury, is in fact not competent,” Bond said. “Mr. Blackwell does not even recognize me and I speak with him, and I have been representing him for approximately 12 months.”

NEWS 92 FM contributor Beth O’Brien reports:

Prosecutor Warren Diepraam with the Montgomery County District Attorney’s office acknowledges Blackwell was severely injured in the accident, but says he is still responsible.

“At this point we believe although he does have some severe mental handicapping as a result of the crash, that does not excuse him from his conduct,” Diepraam said. “We believe him to be competent.”

See Also: DPS: Wrong Way Driver Kills Three, Escapes from Hospital to Evade Arrest

Blackwell was allegedly severely drunk when he killed three people on July 1, 2012.

Eyewitnesses said he was driving his Chevy Impala southbound on Interstate 45 at Research Forest when he made a U-turn, driving northbound in the southbound lands.

Shenandoah police attempted to intercept the vehicle, but it was too late. He smashed into a Pontiac G6 in a head-on collision, killing Dominique Hobbs, 27, of Grand Prairie, and Anis Atkins.

Stephen Kyle Isbell, 47, of The Woodlands, a passenger in Blackwell’s vehicle, was also killed.

Blackwell’s blood alcohol level was measured as .177 — more than twice the legal limit.

He was not arrested because of the severity of his injuries, and he was hospitalized at Hermann Hospital in The Woodlands before being transferred to Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center.

After being transferred to yet another facility, Blackwell vanished.

He was a fugitive for six months before he was arrested by San Antonio police in January 2013.

Beth O’Brien also contributed to this report. 

Join the Conversation! Share and Discuss!

Tags: » » » » » » » » » »



Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,517 other followers