(HOUSTON) — Do you do enough to protect your wheels from thieves? Apparently, a lot of us are pretty careless.
Vehicle theft is a huge problem in Houston, to the tune of about 14,000 stolen last year.
The Latest News Headlines, Traffic and Weather: Follow @news92fm
Which vehicles are most popular among thieves? Auto theft officer James Woods with the Houston Police Department says Houstonians love our pickups, and so do the thieves. Pickup trucks that are at least five years old are among the most frequently stolen.
SEE ALSO: Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles in Houston
Woods said he is amazed at how easy we make it for thieves by leaving doors unlocked and keys in the ignition. He thinks we need to change our thinking.
“People take precautions and people take the steps necessary to secure their house. Well, your car is your second home,” Woods said. “It’s the second largest investment you’ll probably ever make in your lifetime.”
So, what are the best ways to keep your vehicle safe?
- If you have a garage, use it
- Park in well-lit spaces if you have to park outside at night
- Lock your doors
- Don’t leave your vehicle running or the keys in the vehicle at all
- Don’t leave documents revealing your home address in the vehicle
- Don’t leave an extra set of house keys in your vehicle